Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Getting started...

Scout and I have been friends for a few years now.  We share a love of travel, dogs, food, and adventure, and often talk of what it would be like to dramatically change our lives and live out some of our dreams.  Various events over the last several months have led to some pretty big changes in both of our lives, and we find ourselves in the position to really consider making some of our dreams a reality. We wondered, what would it be like to work for ourselves instead of someone else or for a big company?  Do we really need to live in one place, or can we be more mobile? If we could pick up and go anywhere, how would we start and where would we go? Can we actually do it? Is this just a crazy dream?

The more we daydream and brainstorm, however, the more realistic and possible our crazy dream seems.  So far, we are figuring out ways to reduce our debts and save.  We are researching RVs and trailers, and we are mapping out places in the United States and Canada that we would like to visit and/or live for an extended period of time.  We are learning about grey water, anti-sway bars, and towing capacity, and we are trying to downsize what we each have to the minimum so we can learn how to live without excess.  We are also taking important steps at work to determine how we can support ourselves financially from not only a remote location, but from a constantly moving location. 

Our goal is to eventually start living mobily by taking trips for a couple months at a time.  Our first trip will start in November. We have a lot to do before then to prepare.  In the meantime, Scout and I also like to make the most of our time together and have some pretty exciting adventures right here in San Diego, or on little mini-trips (usually tacked on to business travel).  We are excited to share these adventures with you, and hope you enjoy reading about them.

4 comments:

  1. I have ALWAYS dreamed of doing something like this...Good for you girls!! Looking forward to reading all about it. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about writing a book about your adventures cross-country?
    I went online and checked out what an Airstream was. I like the look of them. I think this idea of yours is spectacular. I admire your sense of adventure, your thinking outside the box! I can't wait to read all about your trip, your discoveries. Please do come visit me and stay as long as you want.
    I'm so excited for you both!!! Thank you my sweet niece for sharing your adventure thru this blog. I just cannot wait to read your posts. Bisous to you both :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Wow, Wow, my friend! People dream, you live! I traveled cross country for one month and it was a trip of a lifetime. You will get the opportunity to get under the fabric of our great country and knowing you -- find the good in it all. I can't wait to hear all about this experience, especially through your eyes! I especially can't wait for you to blow through my neck of the woods! lu xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your stories....the walmart event had me rolling around the floor laughing! Before this trip had you ever been inside of a walmart store? I can't wait to see what you'll experience next. Xox love you guys...be safe, have fun.

    ReplyDelete